Pangeanic will work towards the creation of the National European Central Translation Memory Data Platform (NEC TM DATA), a project awarded by the European Commission.
This ambitious project will promote the flow of translation memories from translation companies to public administrations.
The NEC TM DATA consortium will deliver
- A central pan-European Translation Memory-sharing platform, where TMs will be shared directly among Public Administrations, translation companies, and translation professionals working on translations for the public sector;
- Versions of NEC TM at national level so Member States can organize their language resources, categorize and classify them, as well as apply industry practices (fuzzy matching) to translation contracts;
- An online, collaborative translation memory to which translation companies can connect while translating, with automatic updating of each translated phrase;
- The creation of a pan-European data-sharing awareness campaign, promoting better data-sharing practices in translation contracts between public administrations and translation service providers.
The NEC TM DATA platform will feature full texts analysis, fuzzy match, CAT-tool integration and relevant KPIs. The platform will be based on Pangeanic’s ActivaTM (under GPL license), which will integrate, use, and extend the CEF eTranslation platform for national and cross-border European digital services. This project will also seek integration with other Pangeanic projects for the European Commission, such us iADAATPA‘s Single Access Point to access other MT vendors (marketplace), facilitating MT/post-editing tenders and deployment at Member States.
The new platform will engage national language programs and data collection efforts initially in the participating countries, the European Language Industry Association of Translation Companies (ELIA), and national authorities.
The NEC TM Data project is supported by SEAD (State Secretariat for Digital Advancement) from Spain within its own National Language Plan. Two more partners collaborate in the NEC TM Data consortium: Tilde (Latvia) and Ciklopea (Croatia). These three countries that will lead the implementation of a centralized database of translation memories from public contracts.
Pan-European Data-Sharing Awareness Campaign
To promote better data-sharing practices and encourage usage of the NEC TM DATA platform, the consortium will deliver a pan-European TM-sharing awareness campaign, which will work to engage national public administrations by providing a solid framework for data sharing. Part of this effort will be through a study on translation contracts in the EU, providing an overview of the value of all national translation contracts and generated data that can be made available, plus potential savings.
Along with this study, awareness-raising info sessions will be held, where decision-makers and stakeholders at the ministry level in several countries will be made aware of the need to gather and organize translation resources.
In short, what are the three main objectives of the NEC TM DATA Platform?
- to build a data bridge between public administrations and translation service providers
- to promote the free flow of data between public administrations and translation professionals
- to act as a bridge between ELRC and European data-gathering efforts and national digital data gathering efforts