The following vacancy is now open – applicants are welcome to start as soon as possible! Pangeanic is a fast growing company with a keen interest in machine translation developments.
Pangeanic BI-Europe (www.pangeanic.com) is looking for a post-doctoral researcher (Experienced Researcher – ER) to carry out research work on theimplementation and evaluation of the new hybrid computer-aided translation technology proposed in the EXPERT project and particularly, how these can be applied to its PangeaMT platform. The ER will complement the work of a group of ESRs (Early Stage Researcher – ESR) with humanities background in the implementation and evaluation (including user aspects) of the improved prototypes proposed in EXPERT.
The contract will start as soon as possible and has a duration until 30th Sept 2016 when the EXPERT project finishes.
- Ensure that hybrid corpus-based approaches do not remain in the research community and get tested in real world scenarios with human users.
- Conceive a new corpus-based translation framework that will result in scientific and technological advances in all corpus-based translation fields and facilitate the work of human translators.
To reach these objectives, the following tasks and methodology should be taken into account:
- Produce a comprehensive literature review on corpus-based approaches to translation ad hybridisation techniques.
- Interaction with the ESR7 visiting Pangeanic for three months to investigate how the quality and confidence estimation methods can be incorporated into the hybrid approaches built within the project will be of particular relevance.
- Interaction with the ESR9, who will visit Pangeanic for three months to help ER3 develop the proposed hybrid translation tools.
- 1-month stay at iTrad, an Argentinean translation company to evaluate the prototypes developed together with one of the ERs.
- Proposal of a hybrid system involving the best features of all techniques that have been explored and evaluated.
- 1-month stay to the University of Saarland to study the prototypes for improved individual translation tools and the ideal infrastructure for translation proposed in EXPERT and interact with one of the ESRs.
- 1-month stay to Dublin City University (DCU) to study the prototypes for improved individual translation tools and the ideal infrastructure for translation proposed in EXPERT and interact with one of the ESRs.
- Improved Hybrid prototypes.
- Final evaluation of these prototypes.
- Scientific papers: A minimum of two scientific papers to be published at major conferences and/or relevant journals.
- Comparative evaluation showing the improvement brought by EXPERT technologies over other existing systems.
- Analysis of their suitability in industrial application scenarios.
- Demonstration of prototypes to the community in the project Business Showcase.
- Contribution to a training course held as part of the project Business Showcase event, and to hands-on training for the use of the new tools developed in EXPERT project, as well as on general post-editing of automatic translation.
We are looking for an open-minded person that loves programming and is focused on quality and performance:
- Master or doctorate in IT, computer engineering or mathematics with a strong interest in NLP and willing to help the translation industry.
- World-class programming skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the state-of-the-art algorithms and methods related to data retrieving, data mining and string manipulation.
- Knowledge of MT systems, preferably SMT and RBMT.
- Knowledge of machine learning and typical NLP languages, such as Python and/or Perl.
- Knowledge of translation memory systems and matching & retrieval algorithms and segmentation.
- Knowledge of Linux-based server environment.
- Availability to work in an international environment.
- Good relationship and communication skills.
- All suitably qualified candidates irrespective of gender or nationality are welcome to apply as long as the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Applicants should be in possession of a doctoral degree (preferably) or have at least four years of full-time equivalent research experience. At the time of recruitment, the applicant should have less than five years of full-time equivalent research experience (including the duration of the PhD).
- Applicants should have good knowledge of English, both written and oral, in order to be able to submit reports in English.
- Applicants should (preferably) have basic command of the Spanish language.
- Applicants should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3-year period immediately prior to the start date. Candidates of Spanish nationality should not have resided or performed their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 5-year period immediately prior to the start date.
The fellowship is open and available now, and the position can be filled anytime from today, with latest selection time 1st May 2015 (–> position has been reopened – candidates are encouraged to apply)
Annual salary: 43k Euros (Marie Curie rates will apply, deducting SS contributions).
Monthly mobility allowance: 683.90 Euros for ER without a family, or 977 Euros for ER with a family (Marie Curie rates will apply, deducting SS contributions).
How to apply: send an e-mail to [email protected], specifying on the subject line EXPERT project ER 2015.
Closing date: applications are welcome until April 1st but due to the very specialist nature of the project, applicants can be considered until 1st May
Pangeanic is an innovation-driven, private machine translation (MT), software translation, post-editing and localization company which falls within the small and medium enterprise (SME) category. It provides cutting-edge MT services ranging from customized machine-translation developments, translation of Big Data, online translation of customer reviews and background MT for gisting, to machine-translation systems built for in-house use where data privacy is paramount, e.g. sensitive material, intelligence, etc. The company also offers multilingual processing technology consultancy and training. Pangeanic has a team of 8 translation consultants and development experts with long experience in the R&D of multilingual, automated, translation technologies, language development and its deployment in production environments, as well as 2 senior software developers focusing on scalable, web-service based machine translation architectures, user interfaces and deployment experiences.